Re: Wheezy size

On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 02:49:35PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 01:45:51PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > *BAD THINKING!*
> > OK, it is a hot button issue with me as I'm on dialup. Causes me to
> > wait until DVD's are available from vendors.
> > I've a physically small install of squeeze and I seem to recall
> > It's a certain company on west coast that's notorious for telling
> > customer what they should want.
> > [Primary reason I no longer purchase their product.]
> > {There's also a Debian based distro which is falling into that
> > pattern. }
>
> Well jigdo is still there as an option.
>
> So no it isn't bad thinking.  It is entirely correct for most people and
> for the few that have slow or no connection available, there is a more
> efficient method (for the mirror network) to handle the rare person taht
> wants actual media.

Unless you want to download on one system, burn the DVD and take it to
another with no (or unbearable slow) internet downloading the DVDs is
not a good option. Simply updating directly will download far less.

And if you want to update more than one system then use a http proxy
or apt cacher so every common package is only downloaded once.

On the other hand if you wait a bit and then buy e.g. DVD images 1-3
you can update 95% of your system from that and download the remaining
5% over even a slot internet. That is probably better than spending
money on a full 10 disk DVD set. Check which packages you have
installed and on which DVDs they are to see which images are worth
buying.

MfG
	Goswin