Wheezy size

Hi!  I've seen today that Wheezy was officially released 2 days ago!  Great news!

There is something that I cannot understand, why does this release fit on 3 DVDs? (at least for AMD64 arch)

But on the debian main site says over 37500 packages, and I'm using Debian 6 which has 29000 packages and it's 8 DVDs long.

So, is this Debian 7 release "thinner" than its predecessor or are you using some "new and nasty" compression algorithm to get the 37500 packages on 3 DVDs?  (I ask out of ignorance)

Thanks for your time, and good job on bringing a new Debian to life.