Re: Missing Country: Côte d'Ivoire

Quoting David Prévot (david@tilapin.org):

> Hi,
>
> Le 03/05/2013 02:51, Christian PERRIER a écrit :
>
> > In short, plenty of locales are certainly badly needed for countries
> > that have French as official language. One just has to write
> > them...:-)
>
> Just to be sure, do you encourage to create a new locale just to
> indicate a specific timezone? Are such locale expected to be accepted in
> Debian, or even upstream (should they be submitted as a bug report
> against locales, or is there another preferred way)?

I would definitely encourage creating a French locale for all
countries (and territories) that have French as (one of their)
official language(s).

The side consequence is also that, in the installer, the timezone will
be correct with a bit less input from users....but that's not (imho)
the main purpose of all this (nobody should confuse locales and
timezones).

Anticipating your question, a locale for Martinique, Guadeloupe and
other French overseas départements and territories is a bit more
pointless (at least, when it comes at the locale) : basically, the
locale will be exactly the same than fr_FR (except may some postal or
telephone code). But still useful.

I think that such proposed locales should be reported against the
"locales" Debian package. Their maintainer(s) will then forward them
upstream (they did so with those I contributed in the past) and there
are very good chances that they're accepted upstream, then benefitting
all distros.