Re: UEFI install from USB fails on Lenovo X1 Carbon

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:37:56PM +1100, Adam Baxter wrote:
>On 19 March 2013 22:27, Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
>

>> There shouldn't be any need to copy files to a FAT32 USB
>> drive for UEFI - simply dd the installation image directly onto the
>> drive.
>
>In this case, the system refuses to boot at all - I'm simply returned to
>the Lenovo boot menu

OK, that *is* strange. I'm curious - do you have secure boot enabled,
maybe?

>> Also: which version of the installer did you use, and when you
>> say the "installer fails on boot" what exactly happened?
>
>wheezy-di-rc1 from:
>http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/wheezy_di_rc1/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-wheezy-DI-rc1-amd64-netinst.iso
>
>When I say fails on boot, I mean I never see the Debian grub menu. I get
>the "error: prefix not set" message and then the screen goes to a single
>blinking cursor.

Right. So it's booting grub, but not getting any further at all. Have
you copied all the files from the CD image? I'm wondering if it's
maybe not finding some things it's looking for, or (alternatively) it
may be failing to set up a working video mode.

There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, A state of bliss