Re: Change for name of "bn" language...

Quoting Gunnar Hjalmarsson (gunnarhj@ubuntu.com):

> The acceptance made the fix of https://launchpad.net/bugs/991002 easier.
> In Ubuntu we now use the common_name field when present also for
> languages. We have also patched the bn_XX locales (for nl_langinfo()),
> and with the change in localechooser Ubuntu 13.04 will use the name
> Bangla consistently all over.
>
> @Christian: Do we want to spread the use of our OSs to Bangla speaking
> people? I guess we do. So let's not make them face an outdated name of
> their language even before they have installed it. ;-)

No, I want to hear about them *and not only from people in
Bangladesh*. Bangla/Bengali is not used only in Bangladesh. Millions
of people are using it in India. From my experience, the view of such
things can vary from where you're looking at it.

If I get a positive feedback from my contacts both in India and
Bangladesh, then, fine, Debian's localechooser will use Bangla. Until
then, we'll wait.

Sorry, but this is not the first time I see decisions I find too hasty
in Ubuntu, but you guys are free to do whatever you want...:-). My
advice is more : don't mess up with political things too quickly. And,
yes, a language name is a political thing.