Re: all kinds of problems installing with IPMI serial-over-IP terminal

On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 03:10:48PM -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> The thing is, that the serial terminal is rather crippled - some
> things seem to get recognized, others not (function keys are
> particularly problematic, though that might be the Mac term
> program).

You might want to try xterm within X11. It's generally much more sane with
relation to escape sequences.

> So... general comment that, at least in the stable version, the
> installer really doesn't support a basic remote serial terminal all
> that well.

It works just fine with HP iLO in ncurses mode and I'm pretty sure that
I completed an installation on a Supermicro IPMI. I think the latter
used console redirection, though, not true serial.

In general, try to install from a linux box with a proper terminal. I've heared
that one can emulate virtual machines nowadays.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern