Re: Intel Core i7-3630QM UEFI boot results in corrupt display

Keith Moyer wrote:

>> Is this a UEFI issue or a Grub issue?  Any ideas on how I should proceed?
>>
>> I've noticed that newer versions of grub has a commit (revno: 4412) to
>> "Reject invalid resolutions" in efi_gop.c.  I'm not familiar with
>> either either UEFI or Grub code, but that sounds promising to me.
>> I've checked out and compiled the debian-installer code.  Would
>> updating Grub to 2.00 be difficult or have bad consequences?  If this
>> would be the thing to do, I'd appreciate a pointer on how to build
>> netinst images from the compiled debian-installer; I can't seem to
>> find anything on how to do that.
>
>For anyone curious, I solved my problem.  I compiled Grub2 EFI from the
>bzr trunk and put the resulting .efi file on another USB flash drive.
>The commit I mentioned previously (or something else coincident) seems
>to fix the display issue.  However, booting the install image from this
>grub immediately still corrupted the display.  To get around it I had to
>set the gfxmode and tell grub to pass it along to the booted kernel:
>set gfxmode=1366x768x32
>set gfxpayload=keep
>terminal_output=gfxterm
>set root=(hd0,msdos1)
>linux /install.amd/vmlinuz desktop=kde
>initrd /install.amd/gtk/initrd.gz
>boot

>I now have Debian 7 happily installed on my new laptop! :-)

Cool. :-)

I've changed things slightly in the latest CD builds for d-i, based on
this and other reports. Instead of using auto mode for graphics, I'm
now forcing 640x480. That's not going to look very pretty, but it
should be guaranteed to work I hope!

If you could test-boot a new CD image for me and confirm that you at
least get into the grub menus, that would be lovely! :-)

"We're the technical experts.  We were hired so that management could
 ignore our recommendations and tell us how to do our jobs."  -- Mike Andrews