Re: Intel Core i7-3630QM UEFI boot results in corrupt display

On 11/25/2012 06:42 PM, Keith Moyer wrote:
> I am attempting to install Debian Wheezy onto my new Toshiba Satellite
> S855-S5378 laptop using the beta4 debian-installer (I've tried the DVD
> images and the netinst images on USB and CD).
>
> When I boot debian-installer in Compatibility Support Module (CSM) mode,
> the installer runs fine.  However, it would install grub in BIOS mode.
> I need it to be in UEFI mode to allow dual booting Windows 8 (which came
> pre-installed).
>
> When I boot the debian-installer in UEFI mode, however, I just get a
> flash of:
>
> Welcome to Grub!
> Error: "prefix" not set.
>
> then the screen is all scrambled.  It appears as though a smaller
> horizontal resolution is being used and the scan lines are just being
> appended to each other.  So, image is squished to the stop ~40% of the
> screen and the image is illegible.
>
> Is this a UEFI issue or a Grub issue?  Any ideas on how I should proceed?
>
> I've noticed that newer versions of grub has a commit (revno: 4412) to
> "Reject invalid resolutions" in efi_gop.c.  I'm not familiar with
> either either UEFI or Grub code, but that sounds promising to me.
> I've checked out and compiled the debian-installer code.  Would
> updating Grub to 2.00 be difficult or have bad consequences?  If this
> would be the thing to do, I'd appreciate a pointer on how to build
> netinst images from the compiled debian-installer; I can't seem to
> find anything on how to do that.

For anyone curious, I solved my problem.  I compiled Grub2 EFI from the
bzr trunk and put the resulting .efi file on another USB flash drive.
The commit I mentioned previously (or something else coincident) seems
to fix the display issue.  However, booting the install image from this
grub immediately still corrupted the display.  To get around it I had to
set the gfxmode and tell grub to pass it along to the booted kernel:
set gfxmode=1366x768x32
set gfxpayload=keep
terminal_output=gfxterm
set root=(hd0,msdos1)
linux /install.amd/vmlinuz desktop=kde
initrd /install.amd/gtk/initrd.gz
boot

And, for any one else trying to install Debian on an S855-S5378 (or
similar), I also had to compile the alx ethernet driver, place the
resulting .ko files on the same USB flash drive as the compiled Grub,
hit "Go back" as soon as I could in the installer, open a command
prompt, insmod the .ko files, then resume the installer.

I now have Debian 7 happily installed on my new laptop! :-)

- Keith