Re: IPv6 support in d-i

Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net> writes:
> Am 2012-09-08 16:43:00, hacktest Du folgendes herunter:
>> Maybe.  But given that many customers will be completely satisfied with
>> a solution where they have access to the IPv4 web via a http proxy, I
>> believe that we will start to see IPv4 as an extra service you have to
>> pay for.
>
> Question:  If I assign a fixed IPv6 adddress to my customers how
>            must setup the http proxy for IPv4 Webservices?
>
>            Do you know a howto for it?

Nope, sorry.  Any http proxy with dual stack support will work by
default. squid3 or trafficserver are some excellent Debian package
alternatives.

> Note:   My business customers have no problem to use IPv6..  Do not know
>         why, but it seems, there (mostly) CISCO  routers  do  the  right
>         thing...
>
> It seems, there is only a problem witj private customers and there  Low-
> Cost 0815 routers.  The "AVM Fritz! Box" I have tested, work without any
> modifications too.  Others like D-Link, Linksys and Netgear do not work.
>
> So, what can I do as Internet Access Provider, to "help" customers which
> can not use IPv6 for whatever reason?
>
> Should I give them a private IPv4 address (German GSM Provider do  this)
> if I can not get more IPv4 adresses from RIPE??

I don't buy the "can not".  Does not find it worth the cost, yes.  But
that is only because they are used to IPv4 addresses being "free".  They
are not anymore.

> Also I have even problems with IPv6 and  embedded  systems  like  Energy
> Metering Systems (I meter the Power consumation of all  of  my  servers)
> and such, where the emebedded IP-Stacks do not support IPv6.

That sounds like something which would work just fine using rfc1918
addresses forever.  No need to route them to the internet.

Bjørn