Re: Babelbox updated for squeeze

Hello,

Alexander Reichle-Schmehl <tolimar@debian.org> (26/02/2011):
> Sorry, should have been clearer: It happens, while the
> debian-installer runs, not after the installed system has been
> booted.  So I don't think it's gnome-power-manger, but something
> else DPMS related.

ah, installing a smaller set of packages means less time spent
installing, and no black out, OK.

> I *think* it's only an issue when using the graphical installer (as
> I only saw it happen there, not while a text based installation was
> running).  So my best guess would be that X has DPMS enabled by
> default, and if installation takes to long, it sends the monitor to
> sleep?
>
> Not sure, if it's worth to change anything just for some people
> running a bablebox for some time, as long as the "install less
> packages so it doesn't take so long" fix works ;)

I guess it might make sense to support passing additional options to X
through d-i. In this case, you might want to try passing
“-dpms”. Quoting the Xserver manpage:
|        dpms    enables DPMS (display power management  services),  where  sup‐
|                ported.   The  default state is platform and configuration spe‐
|                cific.
|
|        -dpms   disables DPMS (display power management services).  The default
|                state is platform and configuration specific.

I'm not sure which options could be useful, though.

Anyway, you could check the DPMS hypothesis yourself, rebuilding
rootskel-gtk with this option added to:
  src/lib/debian-installer.d/S62Xorg

KiBi.