Re: Bad bug in partitioning in squeeze installer

> Quoting Dru Hill (dru@treshna.com):
>
>> Not sure what you mean by don't do partitioning during installs.
>
> Manual partitioning using cfdisk.

Ahh right explains something.

> Let's first go back to identify which images exactly you did use.
>
> "nightly builds of squeeze" is not precise enough and we would anyway
> rather have you test the *beta 1* image of the squeeze installer,
> which you'll find from
> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer. Use links for beta1,
> *not* daily builds.

I used this iso :
debian-squeeze-di-beta1-amd64-netinst.iso
Downloaded on the 6th of Nov.

I installed it onto 2 desktops, 1 laptop. 3x 500GB. Mixture of XFS, Ext3 and
raid with XFS partitions.

The laptop was fine in that it didn't suffer data loss. But still had
a bad partition table. It few very files on it, which is why I think it
suffered no data loss.
That was the one I did the screen shot for. The /home partition, windows
partition and another partition overlapped.
cfdisk wouldn't run and would error about the partition table. I backed up
and re-installed onto it using fdisk during installation instead.

The details were posted in my original email on how it was detected, and
how they overlapped.

For the other 2 computers, I didn't take screenshots of the partition
table, I just reinstalled from scratched using fdisk. And then restored
from backups. They both suffered data loss on the partitions effected.
Files vanished or were corrupted after a week of use. It was same effects
I have seen before when partitions overlap.

On one drive, partitions 2 and 3 overlapped. The other drive, partition 1,
2 and 3 overlapped by one cylinder.  cfdisk errored on partitions
overlapping when you tried to run it and would die. And it was obvious it
was happening from fdisk output and the regular data loss.

The steps for reproducing it is that I created 3 partitions of varies sizes.
Choose XFS or Ext3. Then deleted one or two of them, changed sizes around,
and then recreated again partition.

I only did 3 installs with that CD, and it happened on all of them so I
imagine it is reasonably easy to re-create the problem.

cfdisk /dev/sdX would tell you if it makes a mistake again.

--
Andrew Hill
Managing Director