A question about the debian installer

Hi,

This is a question about the Debian installer. Don't know which mailing
list is appropriate, sending to devel and boot.

When choosing the rescue mode of the Debian CD, I tried netinst, you
have to go through: language, keyboard, locale, root user setup,
ordinary user setup, networking and root partition (+something I
forgot?) before being presented with the option to run a shell or
reinstall Grub. Why do I have to set up root, user and networking in
rescue mode?? Normally you don't need the users or network to run a
rescue shell (or reinstall grub). I it really necessary to go through
all steps as ordinary install for the rescue mode?

Thanks!