Re: On-screen keyboard for g-i

Le samedi 04 septembre 2010 à 07:44 +0200, Christian PERRIER a écrit :
> (CC'ing you as I answer quite late and you might miss the answer. No
> need to CC me back)

(no need to CC me, I'm suscribed to the list)

> Quoting Thibaut Girka (thib@sitedethib.com):
> [...]
> At very first glance, things are working: I just click on the virtual
> keyboard and letters are entered.

Thanks for your interest :)

> A few comments:
> - we'll need to have a way to activate this only for devices/machines
> that need it.

Yeah, but I'm not too sure about how to do this... maybe test if there
is a touchscreen?
I was planning to see if I can make a xinput-calibrator udeb in order to
callibrate the touchscreen (for now, I'm shipping a calibration file).
On my laptop, where I have no touchscreen, it says so and exit, maybe we
can call it to calibrate the screen, then, if there is one, launch
matchbox and matchbox-keyboard?

> Probably in place of the standard keymap selection that
> means nothing for such machines, I guess (moreover, I did choose the
> French layout but the virtual keymap has a QWERTY layout

Yeah, I'm only using the default one.
Selecting the user-chosen layout would make sense, but matchbox-keyboard
provides its own layouts.

> - The äëö key is strange. Hitting it turns "e" into "ë", but not "a"
> and "o". It also turns "2" to "1/2" and "3" to "3/4".

That's how the default layout work, but indeed, that is strange, and I
can't see why they made it that way (after all, it's the "äëö" key, why
do only "e" => "ë"?).
I can take care of that and improve a bit the layout, but I'm not really
aware of the upstream situation.

> - there are 4 keys at the bottom right, close to "@" that have simple
> squares as symbols (probably characters dropped from the font used in D-I).

Looking at the layout file, those keys are supposed to be the
directional arrows, but no idea why they aren't displayed (they aren't
on my laptop, which obviously can display them). I'm going to take a
look at the code.