Re: User creation questions asked even in rescue mode (was: Re: Question about ordering of debian-installer questions)

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 06:57:33PM +0200, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Package: user-setup
> Severity: normal
>
> Quoting Lennart Sorensen (lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca):
> > In current debian-installer images (at least last I tried about a month
> > ago), when you boot rescue mode, you are prompted for root password
> > and username and such before being prompted for which partition to
> > use for rescue mode.  This was never the case in earlier releases.
> > Given these questions serve no purpose what so ever for rescue mode,
> > could they please be moved so that they don't needlessly make going into
> > rescue mode ask half a dozen useless questions?
> >
> > I have no idea what controls the ordering, but something changed that
> > has made rescue mode a lot less convinient now.  Might be nice to fix
> > that again before squeeze.  Having used it probably 200 times in a
> > row while trying to get grub2 working on an IBM powerpc, it got pretty
> > tedious typing answers all those username and password prompts again
> > and again, all the while knowing it was totally pointless.
>
> This certainly comes from the following:
>
> user-setup (1.30) unstable; urgency=low
>
>   [ Petter Reinholdtsen ]
>   * Move main-menu item before partitioning and installation of the base
>     system, to get more questions earlier during installation.
>
> This mail will create the bug report. I assign it to user-setup,
> though it might become needed to reassign it to rescue and try to deal
> with that in this package.

And this should have been fixed by:

  user-setup (1.32) unstable; urgency=low
 .

[snip]

   [ Colin Watson ]
   * Skip user-setup questions in rescue mode.

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73