timezone in squeeze installer

Hello list,

I used the following instructions to install debian on my qnap nas :
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-219/install.html
But I believe what I am reporting is a general issue with the squeeze installer.

I wanted to use an english locale/language with my timezone
(Europe/Paris UTC+1 or 2) but that was not possible. After selecting
english (or was it american?), I only had a very restricted list of
timezones, with no obvious way around. So I had to go back and choose
French language instead.

It seems strange to tie the language and the timezone, there are many
cases where this seems too restrictive. Am I missing something or did
I do something wrong ?
I am pretty sure the older installers (lenny and older) had all the
flexibility I needed.

cheers
Xavier