Re: Notes on current squeeze installation

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 02:39:53AM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> > - radeontool. The description looks like: don't use. Also the radeon
> >   cards now belong completely to the kernel.
> > - vbetool. Can be considered disallowed by modern kernels.
> If a system is listed as needing a suspend quirk and KMS is not enabled, it uses
> those tools, so installing them by default is imho still justified.
> As radeon/KMS is afaik to be the default for squeeze, we might consider
> downgrading at least radeontool to suggests. CCed Julien for input here.

KMS-less will not be supported in squeeze I think.

> > - usb-modeswitch. The kernel seems to handle this in the meantime.
> This one is pulled my modem-manager, a dependency of network-manager.
> According to NetworkManager upstream, modem quirks should no longer be added to
> the kernel but to usb-modeswitch. I can dig out references if you want.

Well, the kernel would be authorative in this case. And lately all the
devices I checked always provides both this weird install disk and two
serial devices without further interaction. However I have no descriptor
dump available.

Bastian

--
No more blah, blah, blah!