Re: Launching a Debian Xen Guest using a nfs://.../preseed.cfg fails -- Does required nfs:// support exist?

Quoting Ben DJ (bendj095124367913213465@gmail.com):
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
> > debian-boot is primarily a development
> > list.
> >
> > This is going to be my last contribution to this thread.
> >

> Wow.  You might want to clarify that with some of your more senior
> community members -- who suggested that I bring my questions here.

Well, Frans is definitely what we could call a "senior" community
member, you know. After all, he managed the Debian Installer release
for about two years..:-). So, if such concept exists (it doesn't), I
think he would qualify for it.

> As for "last contribution" ... same here.  Debian's not worth it to me
> if this is the reception.

That's probably depending on the point of view. As I've pointed
already, every contribution here is made on a volunteer basis and one
cannot expect anyone to "hold hands" to users so that they can setup
things that are supposed to be documented in our documentation.

All of us have our priorities and we can't force anyone to make deep
help to users as his|her priority. Neither Frans nor myself nor anyone
else is paid for this and the support you get is done on the free time
we want to spend on this issue (which is probably a different context
from your own context while setting up your installation server...if I
assume this is part of your paid work)

You may very well find that this doc.umentation is not enough....but we
sort of expect you first try to get through it and look at what it
says.

I'm not myself a deep expert in preseeded installs (localization work
is more of my business), but it seems that
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apbs02.html#preseed-loading
and
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apbs04.html#preseed-network
already have a few suggestions to solve out the chicken and egg
problem mentioned by Frans in his contribution.

You certainly need to preseed basic network configuration items such
as IP address, netmask, etc, from the boot command line so that the
network configuration step has enough to proceed and retrieve the
preseed file through the given URL.

Setting this should be the required minimum (so all these should be
passed through the boot command line)
# Static network configuration.
#d-i netcfg/get_nameservers string 192.168.1.1
#d-i netcfg/get_ipaddress string 192.168.1.42
#d-i netcfg/get_netmask string 255.255.255.0
#d-i netcfg/get_gateway string 192.168.1.1
#d-i netcfg/confirm_static boolean true