Re: Should D-I install console-setup with kbd and console-tools or not?

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:39:20PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:

> Partly. It depends on how APT is configured. And at that point in the
> installation it's configured not to install Recommends by default. After
> base-installer we _do_ install Recommends by default.
>
> We can also use a parameter when calling apt-install to force installing
> Recommends. That's what I was planning to do for console-setup. But I
> wanted to check with you first why they are Recommends in the first place.
>
> Note that up to Lenny D-I *never* installed Recommends. We've only changed
> that since then but are still working out some special cases.

I am realy surprised by all of this.  What was causing kbd or
console-tools to be installed in the past (before console-setup)?

> That explains the background. But I'm not sure that the problem is
> solved for those ports. As console-setup depends on
> keyboard-configuration, wouldn't making it a depends result in
> console-setup itself becoming uninstallable again?

Console-setup will become uninstallable.  However this should not be a
problem.  There is no need to install console-setup on these
architectures (and the installer should force the installation of
keyboard-configuration instead of console-setup).

> As said above we can also solve it in D-I by forcing the installation of
> Recommends. Please let me know and I'll take care of it.

Changing d-i because of c-s seems wrong to me.  So there are two options:

1. Changing c-s to depend on kbd | console-tools and installing
   keyboard-configuration instead of console-setup on some
   architectures.

2. Let kbd-chooser decide which one of console-setup, kbd and
   keyboard-configuration is going to be installed.  This would be my
   preferred choice if console-setup-udeb was part of the installer.
   My reasoning is this: the installer should be able to use c-s as a
   "black box".  No console-related code outside of console-setup-udeb.

Anton Zinoviev