Re: Should D-I install console-setup with kbd and console-tools or not?

On Sunday 14 March 2010, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 08:15:53AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> > D-I does not follow Recommends during base-installer (as discussed
> > last month). This means that currently console-setup gets installed
> > without kbd and console-tools.
>
> This is wrong.  Console-setup can not configure the console without kbd
> or console-tools.

OK. That's clear enough :-)

> Isn't the installer the program that makes the decision whether kbd or
> console-tools has to be installed?

Partly. It depends on how APT is configured. And at that point in the
installation it's configured not to install Recommends by default. After
base-installer we _do_ install Recommends by default.

We can also use a parameter when calling apt-install to force installing
Recommends. That's what I was planning to do for console-setup. But I
wanted to check with you first why they are Recommends in the first place.

Note that up to Lenny D-I *never* installed Recommends. We've only changed
that since then but are still working out some special cases.

> > Would it be better in your opinion to force installation of Recommends
> > for console-setup? What exactly is the difference for users?
>
> I am not sure I understand.  I can make c-s to depend on kbd or
> console-tools.  Should I?

If the package is useless without those two packages, then maybe you
should. But see below.

> In the past c-s used strong dependency but I changed it to only
> recommends because of request by porters working on architectures which
> do not have kbd or console-tools (i.e. BSD).  This was before the split
> of c-s.  Now with the new package keyboard-configuration I think I can
> use again dependency if you want.

That explains the background.
But I'm not sure that the problem is solved for those ports. As
console-setup depends on keyboard-configuration, wouldn't making it a
depends result in console-setup itself becoming uninstallable again?

As said above we can also solve it in D-I by forcing the installation of
Recommends. Please let me know and I'll take care of it.

Cheers,
FJP