Re: edos analysis for debian-installer

Hi Frans (and debian-boot),

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 02:28:07AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:

> On Friday 12 February 2010, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> > I have just enabled daily (from now on) runs of the edos installability
> > analysis of debian-installer:
> >     http://edos.debian.net/edos-debcheck/installer.php

> For sid it makes some sense, but it's only of very limited value. Some
> uninstallables are always going to show up, simply because a lot of udebs
> are arch:all, but may not have their depends met for a specific arch as
> the installation method they are used in is simply not relevant for that
> arch.

The numbers in parantheses () are for packages that have Architecture != all.

> Also, a lot of dependencies that do exist are not registered in the control
> file. Reason for that is that the dependencies are also used to order
> components in the main menu of the installer (they help determine the
> order of execution of installation steps). So the picture will always be
> incomplete to some extend.

That is interesting. Do you mean that packages in installer contain more
dependencies than in unstable? Is there any documentation where these
additional dependencies come from (by hand from the mainatiner, or a tool),
and how they are used?

> As far as I'm concerned it's up to you whether to keep generating and
> publish the info or not, but I do hope nobody will be filing BRs from it
> [2]. I'm not sure if I'll ever think of checking back :-P

It takes almost zero ressources compared to the complete debian distributions,
so we might as well keep it running.

> [2] Maybe add some kind of disclaimer?

Yes, good idea. Did that, and also for the unstable distribution. However,
there was in the past never a problem with people reporting bugs based on
the edos-debcheck runs.

Cheers -Ralf.