Re: [RFC] Dealing with mdadm superblock metadata default change

Thanks for the reply.

On Thursday 11 February 2010, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> [2010.02.12.0427 +1300]:
> > 1) offer the choice to users
> > I see from the Lenny mdadm man page that there are 4 (!) different
> > metadata versions: 0.90, 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2.
> > - Is there any reason to allow users to choose between those (for
> > Squeeze)?
> > - If so, should all 4 versions be offered or only 0.90 and 1.2?
>
> I think they should all be offered,

That's certainly possible in D-I, but it'll take some effort to implement
nicely. Probably fairly straightforward for preseeded installs using
partman-auto-raid, but for interactive ones we should really restructure
the user interface a bit (do setup from a central RAID setup dialog with
options instead of using a linear series of dialogs).

> but I think we should make 0.9 the default for squeeze and move to 1.1
> only afterwards, once grub-pc knows how to deal with it.

Do you want to do that in mdadm itself, or should D-I do it?
For consistency mdadm seems more logical.