Re: [RFC] Dealing with mdadm superblock metadata default change

also sprach Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> [2010.02.12.0427 +1300]:
> This seems to be causing some problems.

I am aware, but going to a conference right now and flying back to
Europe next week, so I am unlikely going to be able to do much about
it for now.

> 1) offer the choice to users
> I see from the Lenny mdadm man page that there are 4 (!) different metadata
> versions: 0.90, 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2.
> - Is there any reason to allow users to choose between those (for Squeeze)?
> - If so, should all 4 versions be offered or only 0.90 and 1.2?

I think they should all be offered, but I think we should make 0.9
the default for squeeze and move to 1.1 only afterwards, once
grub-pc knows how to deal with it.

> Main problem is that we don't know how an array will be used at
> the time the choice will be made. A user may or may not create
> a separate /boot partition on a regular partition.

mdadm does warn about /boot on array creation btw.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

"i love deadlines. i like the whooshing