Re: Debian-installer use of initrd (was Re: CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y)

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:24:00PM -0400, Lee Winter wrote:

> >> Actually, I don't see how this can work today since ext2 is a module...
> >> Has anyone tested that these work in lenny?
> >
> > There are no floppy images in Lenny. We stopped building them because the
> > kernel would no longer fit on the boot floppy. There was some discussion
> > on having a separate kernel for D-I floppy installs (it would still fit
> > with a number of unneeded optionsdisabled), but that was blocked by the
> > kernel team as they did not want to build a separate flavor for that
> > purpose.
>
> But the installer does not need a separate kernel.  It just needs a
> smaller one. And the kernel team are already supporting several
> smaller (older) kernels.

We (primarily Dann Frazier) provide security support for oldstable and
stable, and we apply selected bug fixes and hardware support improvements
to stable.

> So why can't all of the the lenny/squeeze installations be done with
> the kernel from etch or even sarge?  This would seem to be completely
> within the jurisdiction of the installer team.  Am I missing
> something?

The fact that those kernels lack support for many devices that are common
in currently shipping hardware, and for the filesystems that users may
wish to create at installation time.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
I say we take off; nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.