Re: Debian-installer use of initrd (was Re: CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y)

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 September 2009, Lee Winter wrote:
>> So why can't all of the the lenny/squeeze installations be done with
>> the kernel from etch or even sarge?  This would seem to be completely
>> within the jurisdiction of the installer team.  Am I missing
>> something?
>
> 1) Because it still needs to be able to boot on the same (modern) hardware
>   as the installed system, and work with current versions of udev, and ...

Nah.  The whole point is to support legacy systems that are capable of
_running_ the newest software, but whose peripheral suite is not
adequte to _bootstrap_ the larger images.  is it your belief that the
existing 2.4+backports would not work?

> 2) Because using completely different kernel versions in installer builds
>   is asking for problems.

OK, what problems?  After all once any kernel is loaded, even 2.0, you
can then obtain the newest kernel and associated rd image (no ISO at
all) and just reboot into it.

> 3) Because of source compliance rules: the source for that older kernel
>   would still have to be included in the current release.

What does "included" mean?  Is the source for, say, 2.4, going away or
being hidden at some point?

-- Lee