Re: Debian-installer use of initrd (was Re: CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y)

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 September 2009, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>> > Is installation from floppies still supported?  If so, can they be
>> > converted to using initramfs?
>>
>> Actually, I don't see how this can work today since ext2 is a module...
>> Has anyone tested that these work in lenny?
>
> There are no floppy images in Lenny. We stopped building them because the
> kernel would no longer fit on the boot floppy. There was some discussion
> on having a separate kernel for D-I floppy installs (it would still fit
> with a number of unneeded optionsdisabled), but that was blocked by the
> kernel team as they did not want to build a separate flavor for that
> purpose.

But the installer does not need a separate kernel.  It just needs a
smaller one. And the kernel team are already supporting several
smaller (older) kernels.

So why can't all of the the lenny/squeeze installations be done with
the kernel from etch or even sarge?  This would seem to be completely
within the jurisdiction of the installer team.  Am I missing
something?

Lee Winter
NP Engineering
Nashua, New Hampshire