Re: [RFC] Alternative implementation for tzsetup (was: Not sure about recent change in tzsetup)

On Tuesday 17 November 2009, Frans Pop wrote:
> After the decision during yesterday's team meeting I've prepared the
> patches to implement the alternative solution to revert the "all
> timezones" option and add instead the option to select UTC at medium
> priority [1].
>
> If there are no objections before then, I plan to commit these changes
> on Friday before the l10n run. I will then mail d-i18n to request
> translation updates over the weekend and will do a first upload on
> Monday [2].

I have just committed these changes, with one additional change in
localechooser.

Until now we did not display a country selection dialog during default
installs if the user selected a language that only has a single UTF-8
locale. Instead we would just select that country.
In the light of this discussion that is inconsistent (and actually an
argument that supports Colin's original position).

Users speaking such languages have just as much right as others to go and
live in a different country and still use their native language on their
Debian systems.

So the additional change I've made in localechooser is to display the
countrylist for the correct continent at high priority in that situation.
By choosing <Go Back> from that dialog users will also be able to select
countries on other continents.

Cheers,
FJP