Re: no sound on powermac3,3 (powerbook g4 550) debian502 gnome

Hi, Everybody.

On Sep 13, 2009, at 01:41, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

On Sat, 2009-09-12 at 19:33 -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
Do you know a way for us to know if aoa or powerpc is the right
choice? Or the oposite, a way to know that aoa is known to be broken
in a set of machine ids or like?

Well, generally speaking, aoa only picks up machines it knows about no ?

Actually, no. Since I have been building my own kernels, I have no problems with snd-powerpc.

OTOH, many people on -powerpc has sent messages along the lines "I just installed lenny/etch/squeeze/foo on my {Power,i}{Book,Mac} and I can't get any sound, is there anybody here that can help me?".

It seems that on some G5 machines, snd-powerpc could cause some lock ups, but the problem was reported ages ago and it seems to have been fixed. I'm not sure if Charles Plessy (in CC) still has his dual G5 and can test it, but I seem to recall that he once had the problem and, months latter, tested it again and didn't find any problems with snd-powermac.

(Is this correct, Charles? My memory seems to be failing me lately.)

So, for a distribution kernel, I guess that, once nobody complains about the problems, we can just standardize on snd-powermac (and have people have a working setup) and document the potential (perhaps nonexistent?) problem in the release notes for the arch.

I am willing to learn a bit about the kernel, but I don't have knowledge about hardware.

Opinons?

Regards, Rogério Brito.

P.S.: Ben, are there low-hanging fruits in the kernel for PowePC on Macs?