Re: problem retrieving packages with debootstrap.

On Tuesday 08 September 2009, Guillaume Yziquel wrote:
> The command I use is
> pbuilder create --debootstrapopts --variant=buildd --basetgz base.tgz
>
> I do not know how it translats in term of debootstrap.

That's not even very relevant. Just try creating a standard chroot:
# debootstrap sid <target dir> http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian

The log will be in <target dir>/debootstrap/.

> >> The most likely causes are:
> >> - temporary broken dependencies in unstable: wait until they get
> >> resolved
>
> That's probably not the issue: 'broken' packages would take turns way
> too fast.

Checking the log file will tell...

> >> - unreliable mirror: try using a different one
> >
> > I: Checking component main on http://ftp.jp.debian.org/debian...

Eh, if you're using the default Japanese mirror I'm not surprised you see
download issues.

> How do you change the mirror you're using?

Don't we have man pages to answer such questions?
Or even plain 'pbuilder --help' answers this': --mirror [mirror location]

You can also set it in $HOME/.pbuilderrc, e.g:
MIRRORSITE=http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian

> >> - unreliable network connection
> >
> > This is most probably the issue. However, is there any way to make
> > use debootstrap reliable on unreliable connections? Like increasing
> > timeouts, retrying, etc...?

I don't think so, but it really should not be needed. But start by using a
decent close mirror. And if it still fails: check the logs!!!
You should be able to do so even with pbuilder by using the option that
tells it not to delete the chroot on errors or after completion.

And please do spend some quality time with the documentation.

Cheers,
FJP

P.S. I think you should consider posting your next questions on the
debian-user mailing list. This basic level of support is not really
appropriate for a development list. Based on the info you've given so far
it looks to me as if there is absolutely nothing wrong with either
pbuilder or debootstrap.