Re: Keymap problems in D-I (was: Re: Bugs in the latest Debian Sid installer)

On Sunday 23 August 2009, Christian Perrier wrote:
> We really need to find a better way to interact....

BTW, what happened to "be liberal in what you accept"?

Do you know what I do when somebody hints that my work may not have been
100% perfect? I first consider whether they have a point or not. If they
do, then I accept it, correct if necessary, and move on (example: [1]).
If I feel they don't, then 99 times out of a 100 I will shrug and ignore
it.

But what do you do? You get indignant and send a heavy rant that is *much*
more aggressive than the mild remark that prompted it. Instead you could
also have thought "Hmmm, was that necessary? Ah, well, it's just Frans,
we all know what he's like sometimes, and after all he did help to fix
the bug. Let's just ignore it."

What did you think to achieve with your post?
The only point I can see in it is as a vent for your (unjustified) anger.
Is that so constructive? Maybe you should have slept on it (remember:
"don't reply in anger, calm down and think it over first"). It might not
have seemed worth getting so worked up over in the morning.
Or did you think to somehow "improve me"? Sorry, but I'm too old now to be
improved very much. And if I hate one thing, then it's people trying to
improve me [2].

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/8/21/39
[2] Which by the way does *not* mean that I hate the people themselves
- although they're unlikely to become my best friends - but just the act
of trying to improve me. A huge and important difference.