Re: grub-installer/grub2_instead_of_grub_legacy template

On Thursday 30 July 2009, Felix Zielcke wrote:
> Unfortunately I'm not a sed expert but that should be easy to fix.
>
> if [ "$defopt_params" ]; then
>         sed -i "s!^\(# defoptions=.*\)!\1 $defopt_params!"
> $ROOT/boot/grub/$menu_file fi
> if [ "$kopt_params" ]; then
>         sed -i "s!^\(# kopt=.*\)!\1 $kopt_params!"
> $ROOT/boot/grub/$menu_file fi
>
> That needs to be only modified to change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
> and GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" in $ROOT/etc/default/grub

See recent discussion started by Colin about the problem that D-I is
normally not allowed to change the config files of other applications.
That issue needs to be resolved.

> What other known issues?

See the meta BR...

One other is no support for bootloader password, but I guess that is
something that could be accepted as it is only an expert option.

But all basic functionality should be there, and respecting boot
parameters (also quiet and vga=) is very much basic functionality.

> The initial template is from August 2006.
> At that time I even didn't know grub2 exists, but I can image that it
> was really experimental at that time. We fixed a bunch of bugs since I
> joined.

The question is not if grub2 itself is still experimental, but that its
integration in D-I is incomplete, which makes its use *in D-I*
experimental. Users should be able to expect no regressions relative to
grub when the switch is made.

> Probable you didn't recently (!) tried out grub2, did you?

No. Why should I have? I _know_ that grub2 has been improving, but I also
know that nothing has been done to complete its integration in D-I.

> > P.S. Please do not CC me on replies. It should be obvious that I read
> > the list. See the Debian mailing list code of conduct.
>
> Sorry but why does the list has a stand reply to the sender instead of
> to the list?

It does not. That is something your MUA is responsible for: it should
recognize that a mail is list mail (based on headers) and act accordingly
(although different lists/communities do have different policies).
Kmail automatically replies correctly only to the list.