Re: grub-installer/grub2_instead_of_grub_legacy template

Am Donnerstag, den 30.07.2009, 10:46 +0200 schrieb Frans Pop:
> On Thursday 30 July 2009, you wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 30.07.2009, 10:29 +0200 schrieb Frans Pop:
> > Ah I forgot about the meta-bug.
> > But anyway, any reason against changing the template text?
> > I'd really like that more people test/use it.
>
> Yes. As long as grub2 does not for example pass on boot options (such at
> noapic), its integration in D-I is essentially broken and thus the
> experimental warning 100% valid and necessary.

Unfortunately I'm not a sed expert but that should be easy to fix.

if [ "$defopt_params" ]; then
        sed -i "s!^\(# defoptions=.*\)!\1 $defopt_params!" $ROOT/boot/grub/$menu_file
fi
if [ "$kopt_params" ]; then
        sed -i "s!^\(# kopt=.*\)!\1 $kopt_params!" $ROOT/boot/grub/$menu_file
fi

That needs to be only modified to change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
and GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" in $ROOT/etc/default/grub

> A desire for more testing is not a justification to ignore known issues or
> to put users in situations from which they may have trouble recovering.
>
> If you want that warning removed, I suggest you (or others) provide
> patches to fix the known issues.

What other known issues?
I said that we could add a sentence that grub2 lacks savedefault and
password.
I don't mind if multipath and dmraid gets added their too.
So people know it then.
Are you talking also about 502446? Any reason against not to apply that
patch?
And looking over the bug list of grub2 about the stuff which doestn't
just waits for a confirmation of the repoter there aren't any problems
why grub-installer should tell that grub2 is experimental.

Switching to grub2 by default would instantly solve a few reports
against grub-installer.

But if you want we could say something like "grub2 has still known
problems and isn't that well tested then grub-legegacy. "
or similiar.
The initial template is from August 2006.
At that time I even didn't know grub2 exists, but I can image that it
was really experimental at that time. We fixed a bunch of bugs since I
joined.

Probable you didn't recently (!) tried out grub2, did you?
> Cheers,
> FJP
>
> P.S. Please do not CC me on replies. It should be obvious that I read the
> list. See the Debian mailing list code of conduct.

Sorry but why does the list has a stand reply to the sender instead of
to the list?

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer