Complex preseeded partitioning

Back in 2007 I sent some emails to this list about preseeding with
complex partitioning schemes (lvm on raid, lvm on encrypted raid, etc).
I don't know how much this has improved since then, but having chatted
to a -boot member at debconf, he suggested this could still be useful.

The original mail I sent was here: [0], moving onto the next month's
archive here: [1]. The state I got the udeb to can be found here: [2].

The main things that I had problems with were the partman bits; if there
is interest in this I would appreciate some help with that.

A quick summary of this system; it replaces everything from partitioning
to mounting filesystems. You write a script which looks like:

part /dev/sdb 500Mb
md 1 raid /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 spare /dev/sdc1
vg 0 /dev/mapper/crypted
lv 0 root 1G
fs /dev/vg0/root xfs /

and it applies them all in order (so you can stack crypt/raid/lvm/etc in
any order). I personally find this a lot clearer to understand than the
existing partman recipes, and it's more powerful. Of ccourse, it's less
generic where the partitioning is concerned, suggestions on those lines
are also welcome.

Thanks,
Matt

0. http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2007/05/msg00657.html