Re: mmc-modules should be loaded by default on ARM Kirkwood

* Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> [2009-05-25 23:05]:
> I disagree. The function of hw-detect, and in this case more
> particular disk-detect, is to ensure any hardware needed for
> partitioning gets made available. IMO this fits that definition
> perfectly.
>
> > How about I simply include the udeb in the netboot initrd for that
> > particular subarch?
>
> Against that is that it's not needed at that stage, so it's initrd
> bloat.  And that _is_ an issue on arm.

I ran into some problems while adding the functionality to hw-detect
and I cannot look into it in the near future.  In the meantime, I'll
therefore add MMC modules to the initrd on Kirkwood.  The argument
about initrd bloat doesn't apply to this sub-arch since all currently
supported machines have 512 MB of RAM.  However, I note your and
Otavio's opinion and will look into a different solution later.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/