Re: netbase: Fails to install if ifupdown is not available

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 06:37:52AM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Package: netbase
> Version: 4.36
> Severity: serious
> Tags: patch
> Justification: fails to install
> User: initscripts-ng-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
> Usertags: incorrect-dependency
>
> Hi Marco,
>
> in 4.33 you demoted ifupdown to a Recommends. If Recommends are setup to
> not be installed by default (e.g. in build chroot), netbase now fails to
> install, because insserv is now the default, and the LSB header of
> /etc/init/networking has a strict dependency on ifupdown.
>
> You should either dump the dependency again or make ifupdown an optional
> dependency (Should-Start,Should-Stop) in the LSB header.

This causes debootstrap to get a bit confused, although it does manage
to recover. The log looks like this:

  I: Configuring the base system...
  [...]
  I: Configuring netbase...
  [...]
  I: Configuring ifupdown...
  [...]
  W: Failure while configuring base packages.
  I: Configuring netbase...
  I: Base system installed successfully.

CCing -boot in case other people see this during testing and are
confused, as I was.