Re: should popcon be enabled by default?

On Monday 27 July 2009, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Frans Pop<elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
> > The question is always displayed, so it's simply up to the user
> > whether he wants to participate or not.
>
> This is the reason I think we could leave 'Yes' as the default answer.
> It will still give the choice for the user and:
>
>  - It will allow us to have a better view of users are using
>  - We will be able to have it deplyed in more machines

It also increases the risk that users end up participating in popcon while
they'd really prefer not to. Questions in D-I always have, where
possible, a "safe" default; the safe value here is "no", not "yes".

Any participation in Debian should be conscious and voluntary, including
popcon.