Re: should popcon be enabled by default?

On Monday 27 July 2009, Felix Zielcke wrote:
> on IRC I just asked why popcon defaults to no instead of yes.
> Otavio at least said that it ought to be to yes, but Luca said that a
> no would be better from a user POV
> IMO it should default like Otavio also said it's more intersting for
> the project.

The historic reasons are that:
- we don't want to have Debian systems "phone home" by default
- we don't want to enable something that causes periodic outgoing
  network traffic by default

The question is always displayed, so it's simply up to the user whether he
wants to participate or not.

Cheers,
FJP