Re: [D-I] Please test Debian Installer with console-setup (3rd version)

Quoting Julien Cristau (jcristau@debian.org):

> > I'm not sure that belongs to upstream, again. We should refocus on our
> > point, here: D-I. I'm not interested in changing things upstream, or
> > even changing the way you deal with them in the standard console-setup
> > package. You're certainly handling things the right way.
> >
> I think this is the absolute wrong way to go, fwiw.  Making things
> significantly different in the installer means more maintenance
> overhead, instead of improving things for everyone and sharing the

There seem to be some misunderstanding here.

I don't necessarily want to make things different. The point is trying
to keep the use of c-s by D-I sustainable, particulrly in terms of
size and memory impact.

The very big number of variants brings in a lot of strings....and,
potentially, a lot of translated material. That will mathematically
make the size impact of D-I grow up exponentially over time.

That is a concern. Of course, efforts were made to minimize this and
this is really welcomed, for sure. But I still need to be convinced
that this will be enough.

Again, my proposal is not necessarily changing the way c-s
works....but finding a way to have it present much much less variants
to users so that it's less confusing for them (usability reason) and has less
size impact on D-I (technical reason).

I am not specifically favouring a given option, here. I imagined a way
to do this (that involves manual maintenance, which I thinks is
sutainable) but that may not be the only option. Anyway, I haven't
proposed any implementation and I don't know if I'll be able to do
so..:). Moreover, I haven't described very precisely what I imagine.

In short, we're basically shaking ideas here...