Re: [D-I] Please test Debian Installer with console-setup (3rd version)

On 08/07/2009, Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> A *third version* of test D-I images with console-setup replacing
> kbdchooser has been built.
[...]
> I would appreciate if these images could be tested, particularly in
> various languages.

I tested mini-cs-i386.iso in italian on qemu.

One of the first steps in d-i was this (look at the comments with "<--"):
--8<---- (1)
Please select the layout matching the keyboard for this machine. <--
english string

Keyboard layout:              <-- english string
Italia                                <-- default, chosen by me
Italia - Georgiana             <-- I never heard about this...
Italia - Macintosh             <-- perhaps this is for Intel Apple
Italia - Tasti muti esclusi  <-- (translated: "Italy - except mute
buttons") what is this?!?
Other                               <-- english string
--8<---- (1)

After downloading something (perhaps the base system?), this popped up:
--8<---- (2)
[!!] Configurazione in corso di console-setup <-- translated: "Running
translation of console-setup"

Origine della tastiera: <-- translated: "Keyboard origin:"
... <-- a lot of choices
--8<---- (2)

and then the same of (1) but translated in italian.

> It is suggested to test localized installations of
> a "standard" system, not necessarily with X, and check whether things
> work as expected on the installed system (particularly display at the
> console as well as the keymap used in the console).

At the _first_ boot, before the "Setting the system clock." message, I got
--8<---- (3)
WARNING: undefined kernel key code for 153
WARNING: undefined kernel key code for 160
WARNING: undefined kernel key code for 162
... <- other messages with other numbers
WARNING: undefined kernel key code for 245
--8<---- (3)

And then (always at the first boot), I got a very similar message (I
didn't check if the numbers were the same) before the "INIT: Entering
runlevel: 2" message.

At the console (at every boot), all keys of the keyboard are working,
except for characters "ì" and "ò", that are printed as rhombus (I
don't know if I chose the wrong keyboard layout for qemu...).

[...]
> If you provide feeback, please do so by answering to this mail,
> keeping both lists CC'ed (but *don't* CC me as I read both lists!).

Done.

Thanks for all your work,
Luca Favatella