Re: First tests with console-setup replacing kbd-config

Quoting Anton Zinoviev (anton@lml.bas.bg):

> Good to here this.
>
> Should I make small console-setup-mini-udeb without translations?

Well, I'm not sure we have a use case for it. The point of having no
translations is to make the udeb smaller but, as c-s udeb is included
in the initrd, that would mean preparing special images with the
mini-udeb replacing the udeb. I see very few use cases for this.

In low memory mode, translations will be dropped anyway.

So, in short, I don't really see any need. Maybe others would have an
advice.

Samuel updated the wiki page and I compelted it as well:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/ConsoleSetupSwitch

I will soon "play" with console-setup enabled for all languages in
localechooser. It's already enabled for French and we got no failure
reports. The same stands for cyrillic languages.

I think it's now probably quite safe to replace all remaining
instances of kbd=<foo> by console-setup.

I wonder if we should *add* console-setup for languages that had no
"kbd=" mention previously:
 - languages that are displayed with the console framebuffer (CJK,
Hebrew, Arabic, Vietnamese)
 - languages that can be rendered only in graphical mode (Amharic,
Indic languages, Dzongkha, Khmer, Thai)

The latter would indeed bring a better display of the console anyway
(c-s fonts are, imho, much nicer than what we provide with kbd)