Re: First tests with console-setup replacing kbd-config

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 12:00:20PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:

>   - add console-setup-udeb, console-setup-pc-ekmap, console-setup-fonts-udeb

I think the last of these packages is unnecessary because d-i doesn't
work directly on the linux console.  This udeb exists to allow localized
installs without framebuffer (I am not sure when this can be useful).

> - boot D-I (expert mode)
>
> - choose French
>
> Then, I was prompted for many keyboard/font related things, in
> French.

In expert mode (i.e. low debconf priority) it is normal for
console-setup to ask many such questions.

> However, even though nothing apparently failed in c-s, the keymap in
> D-I remained unchanged....

Some things to check:

1. Do you have loadkeys and kbd_mode utilities?  I think they are from
kbd-udeb.

2. What does output the command setupcon -v

3. Is UTF-8 the value of CHARMAP in /etc/default/console-setup?

BTW, the last commands in the postinst of console-setup are these:

if [ -f /usr/share/console-setup-mini/console-setup.config ]; then
    setupcon --force --save
fi

> Then, later trying to come back in "Keyboard configuration" just did
> nothing...

Maybe the questions are not shown because they are marked by Debconf as
'seen'?

Anton Zinoviev