Re: console-setup + X = broken console

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 14:38:35 -0500, Adam Majer wrote:

> David Nusinow wrote:
> > Please see http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/InputHotplugGuide for the
> > rationale and #515214 for more info.
>
> That is great, yet it does nothing for me except change fonts. I've read
> the bug report, and it is just people complaining about Hal and
> console-setup dependencies.

If there's no way to tell console-setup to not change fonts, then that
probably can be fixed.  That doesn't mean we should drop the dependency.

> Frankly, I see no reason why console-tools and hal cannot be moved to
> Recommends. I understand the reasoning behind the above link and agree
> with it. But at same time defaults can be hardcoded to something like,
>   keymap - US (or Linux default)
>   mouse - standard /dev/input/mice device

No, it's not possible to make that work out of the box.  And even if it
was, using a us keymap just because some Recommends wasn't satisfied is
not acceptable in my opinion.

> Moving these packages to Recommends DOES NOT mean you need to support
> input definitions in xorg.conf!

It means that installs without hal and console-setup ought to work.
They don't.  So I don't think moving these packages to recommends would
do anyone any good (except for the warm fuzzy feeling for some whiners,
which I'm happy to ignore).

Cheers,
Julien