D-I not using grub (was: lilo about to be dropped?)

Let's move this subthread back to d-boot. Reply-to set.
Please let us know if you'd like to be CCed.

Martin Wuertele wrote:
> * Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> [2009-04-07 02:54]:
>
>> Martin Wuertele wrote:
>> > Actually lilo is installed by lenny d-i if you use root-sw-raid with
>> > LVM, even if your /boot is an differen partition/sw-raid. Therefore
>> > lilo should at least remain for sqeeze to ensure a proper upgrade
>> > path.
>>
>> I'm afraid you're mistaken here. Lenny D-I should (and AFAIK does)
>> default to grub for that setup.
>>
>> /boot on normal partition or RAID1 + / on whatever combination of
>> RAID+LVM is supported fine by grub. Unless there is some other factor
>> that you've not mentioned D-I does not fall back to lilo for that.
>
> I wonder what it could be. I don't user XFS just plain ext3 and had to
> manually install grub for 2 recent setups. One is an IBM X3560 with
> harware-raid, /boot on one partitione, rest for lvm, the other is an
> X3220 with /boot on md0 and lvm on md1. For both D-I installed lilo.

Next time you get in that situation, please add a 'set -x' in
   /var/lib/dpkg/info/grub-installer.isinstallable
and then run it from one of the debug shells.

That should tell you why D-I skips grub and falls back to lilo.

Cheers,
FJP