Re: Complete draft of the March 16th and 30th meetings minutes

On Monday 06 April 2009, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Hey, let's make one thing clear OK; You're de facto the maintainer and
> the RM of the installer manual and I fully agree with that but please
> realise that the manual is part of Debian Installer project.

Sure, but that does not change anything.

> > Attending meetings, or even reading their logs, is not required nor
> > should it be (and neither is presence on IRC). (And I think that ATM
> > it's a lot better for those meetings if I don't attend them.)
>
> I disagree on that.

On what exactly?

I'm willing to read the *minutes* of meetings, and as you've seen I _have_
done exactly that as I have responded to them. But I don't think you can
realistically expect everybody involved with D-I (either closely or
remotely) to attend the meetings or to read through the raw logs.

> > There is quite a bit more to doing a release for the manual than just
> > building and uploading it (after all, why should the manual be any
> > different from the rest of D-I?).
>
> That is really the point.

What is the point? I think you've not read my sentence correctly. The bit
between brackets means "why should the manual be any less complex than
the installer itself"; it does *not* mean "the manual is no different
than the installer and does not require any special handling".

> Being the D-I RM, I think I can consider changing something if I
> believe it can benefit the project as a whole, right?

No, when it comes to the manual you really cannot, especially not as long
as you have absolutely no clue what's involved. And certainly not unless
you're willing to accept *total* responsibility for the installation
guide from that point forward.
You are very welcome to *suggest* changes, but you cannot just go ahead
and *make* them. And the reason is very simple: because you just do not
know what's involved, you would be quite likely to break something. And
possibly something that could be really quite hard to correct [1].

[1] No, I'm not just talking here. There really is at least one aspect of
doing uploads that is totally non-obvious, but something that you really
*must* be aware of. And no, I'm not going to explain what it is in this
thread.