Re: Lenny 5.0 i386 Install with LVM Cannot Reboot

Ferenc Wagner wrote:
Peter McGill <peter@artificerscircle.org> writes:

Appears to install fine, but boot after install fails.

Volume group "debian" not found.
The above line repeats after a time.

This repeat is somewhat strange, but anyway...

Ok, so I booted again to try your suggestions...
Here is a more detailed bootup sequence.

My SCSI Adapter is detected by the kernel.
Running /scripts/init-premount ...
Mounting root filesystem ...
device-mapper
  Volume group "debian" not found
  Volume group "debian" not found
Waiting for root filesystem ...

About 1 second later My SCSI hard disk is detected by the kernel.
sda: sda1 sda2

Then about 3 minutes go by and it gives up and drops to the shell.
Gave up waiting for root device.
ALERT! /dev/mapper/debian-root does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

Then a while later the following is reported.
ALERT! /dev/mapper/debian-root does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

What happens if you invoke

vgchange -ay

in this shell?  If it activates the volume group, exit the shell and
see if it boots up.

It also seems to not be loading the usb keyboard driver cause I cannot type anything at the shell. I plugged in a PS/2 temporarily to run the commands.

vgchange -ay does not appear to do anything.
cat /proc/cmdline
  root=/dev/mapper/debian-root ro

I rebooted and using grub's online editing feature added rootdelay=5
It booted fine then. Then I updated grub so rootdelay=5 is default.
Appears to boot consistently now, thanks for the help.

Peter