Re: Pre-bug-raising questions

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:52:59AM +0000, Mike Grice wrote:
> I'm pleased to say that this gets further than ever before:
>  - it fails to detect the network device but i'm able to select the
> correct one from a list.
>  - it fails to detect the disk device but i'm able to select the
> correct one from a list.

Hmm. Which list do you mean?

>                                     The problem I get now is that the
> kernel the installer installs as part of the setup is the etch-n-half
> kernel, which doesn't have the required drivers installed.  So I'm
> stuck at 'waiting for root filesystem...' until I drop to the initrd,
> and I can't find the module to install.

The daily installers defaults to installing unstable. However there is
no etch'n'half-kernel in unstable. So you override that decision
somewhere.

> This time, the debian-installer installs a better sounding kernel
> (2.6.26-1-sparc64-smp), but I'm dumped to the initrd shell again.
> Looking through the filesystem, the modules are definitely there and I
> can insmod them and continue the install.

Okay, so its a problem somewhere between udev and the kernel
definitions.

> Is there anything I'm missing here?  I can tell something is 'just a
> bit missing' and I'd love to be able to raise a correct bug report for
> this and get it squashed before Lenny.

Add the modules to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules.

Bastian

--
Insults are effective only where emotion is present.
		-- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?"  stardate 3468.1