Re: 40r6 locks up during boot

Frans Pop wrote:
On Monday 12 January 2009, John wrote:
general protection fault: 3edc [#1]
Modules linked in:

Pid 0, comm: swapper Not tainted (2.6.26-1-486 #1)
EIP 0060:[<c03633f0d>] EFLAGS 00000286 CPU: 0
EIP is at 0xc0363f0d

I will leave off now, lots of hex numbers which I'm likely to
mistranscribe.

It ends with kernel panic - not syncing -: Attempted to kill the idle
task!

Oh, the top item on the call trace:
[<c0107a71>] apply_paravirt+0x81/0x91.
and it's called from vgacon_set_cursor_size.

Note that whatever this is, it's a kernel problem, not a problem with the installer itself. And this is not the best list to help with kernel issues.

I can accept that. fwiw I've installed Kubuntu 8.10 in there now, and for my purposes that will suffice. I'll explore serial cables (real and virtual) before hassling the kernel folk.

The Ubuntu kernel is 2.6.27 or so and has paravirt support, so evidently a fix can be had.

One thing you could try is booting with the framebuffer disabled (add
"fb=false" or "video=vfb:off" as boot parameter).

Neither of those work. Is the script in your initrd trying to initialise framebuffer regardless?