Re: [RFC] Possibility for a beta release in Febuary

Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> writes:

> Below are a lot of comments intended to help make this schedule work, not as
> criticisms.

Thanks! Let's work!

> On Friday 11 January 2008, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> Bellow goes the proposed timeline.
>
> It is a bit hard to really comment on this timeline as it does not really
> contain any info on the work do be done to make it happen. It is really
> just a bare timeline.
>
> I do know one thing: if you wait until Feb 1 to actually start working on
> the release, the schedule is not going to be possible. I'd expect an
> overrun of at least 2 weeks, but more likely a month or more.
> Basically, the schedule itself is fine, but to make it actally work, you
> have to start _now_.

Yes. A lot of things to be done. I know it.

I just don't think we're too far from a beta release, in overwall
quality of installer.

>> | Date	What happens
>> | 2/1/2007	string freeze starts
>
> I have personally not done string freezes for Beta releases, basically
> because that is all it is and there is just no necessity to have
> translations at 100%. That said, I doubt it matters very much as it's not
> all that likely there will be any string changes. I would not let it
> complicate the planning though.

Ack. I talked to Christian when I started to think about it and he
suggested a freeze. No objetion from me to drop this step and add it
for beta2.

Christian, since translator aren't so active and we hadn't so many
changes lately, what you think about dropping it for this, and maybe
beta2 too?

<...>
> Note that apt-setup currently has some strings that are not yet marked as
> translatable and that some further string changes will be needed in
> apt-setup. Not sure if that should be done before or after the Beta.

Right. As you've spot above, we might relax it for the beta and keep
it working. If it gets too near for release, we can keep the other
changes (string changes) to after the Beta.

<...>
>> | 2/11/2007	kernel, modules and their udebs hitted testing
>
> 2.6.23 is quite old already. In fact, 2.6.24 is very close to release.
> I would suggest contacting the kernel team to see when they think a
> migration to testing would be possible (I don't see any real blockers ATM,
> except for the meta packages) and to make the switch to 2.6.23 ASAP for D-I
> if a migration to testing soon looks possible.

Yes. I've pondering about it too.

For testing migration we also need the aglomeration packages to be
uploaded. Daniel, when do you plan to upload them?

>> | 2/12/2007	mass migration of udebs
>
> This is where this release is most at risk. You really should start
> migrating _now_, especially for non-D-I udebs! The reason is that a quite a
> few packages are badly out of sync [2] and that needs to be fixed before
> you can release. You should also start now to reduce the risk of udebs
> being caught in transitions at the moment when you would like to migrate
> them.
> [3] is HUGE at the moment and you really need to get that reduced as much as
> possible. Simple udebs that we control ourselves and that don't have
> difficult dependencies can be done at this date. Anything else should be
> done ASAP.

Ack.

I'll prepare a list for all udebs that can migrate and start checking
each one today.

> Note that Jeroen has mostly done udeb migrations in the past, but I don't
> know if he's available (haven't seen him much recently). If not, that could
> be an additional challenge.
>
> You should also inform the RMs at some point that all unblocks for udebs
> will need explicit D-I RM approval again.

My idea is to inform them after 01/21/2007. I was planning to check
pending changes on svn and upload all possible ones (and ask involved
people to handle the most critical ones) before doing it.

<...>
>> | 2/17/2007	test of images starts
>> | 2/23/2007	final image builds
>> | 2/25/2007	release
>
> You should probably already start preparing the list of changes for the
> release mail. Even though it may not seem that way, there have been a _lot_
> of changes that deserve to be mentioned.

I've created a wiki page[1] to we all start to collect those information
and start to prepare the announcement draft.

1. http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/ReleaseAnnounce

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116