Re: [RFC] Possibility for a beta release in Febuary

Quoting Otavio Salvador (otavio@debian.org):

> > I have personally not done string freezes for Beta releases, basically
> > because that is all it is and there is just no necessity to have
> > translations at 100%. That said, I doubt it matters very much as it's not
> > all that likely there will be any string changes. I would not let it
> > complicate the planning though.
>
> Ack. I talked to Christian when I started to think about it and he
> suggested a freeze. No objetion from me to drop this step and add it
> for beta2.
>
> Christian, since translator aren't so active and we hadn't so many
> changes lately, what you think about dropping it for this, and maybe
> beta2 too?

I would still appreciate a soft string freeze which could start
immediately to avoid clutteing the planning too much.

"soft string freeze", in my opinion, just means "please ask before
changing strings and discuss the changes before they're applied,
that's all.

> > Note that apt-setup currently has some strings that are not yet marked as
> > translatable and that some further string changes will be needed in
> > apt-setup. Not sure if that should be done before or after the Beta.
>
> Right. As you've spot above, we might relax it for the beta and keep
> it working. If it gets too near for release, we can keep the other
> changes (string changes) to after the Beta.

We should then activate these strings ASAP. Actually, we should have
activated them a while ago....