Re: Time to migrate discover1 users to discover v2

[Frans Pop]
> Probably not for my desktop on which I tried it.  What happens with
> packages that are already installed? Are they listed or are they
> skipped?

At the moment they are listed for installation, but skipped when the
actual installation take place.  discover-pkginstall can only install
packages, not remove them.

> If they are skipped the problem is of course that I don't know what
> packages it would have listed that I already have installed...
> Maybe an option is needed to just list packages and their status (or
> is that the -l option already; also lists only 915resolution).

-l is the option to list the detected packages.  It got the the
complete list.

> (And I just see that discover-pkginstall is missing a man page and
> --help/-h options.)

Yes, noticed the missing usage list and documentation yesterday.
Already added some info about the options, and will add some more when
I get time.

> I would think having it called from pkgsel (which also calls tasksel) would
> be the most logical option. Probably as a separate stage after tasksel has
> been run. Doing it in hw-detect doesn't really make any sense to me as
> basically it's the wrong phase of the installation.

Make sense to me.

> I doubt You'll be getting any patches to discover from me, but I am
> willing to work on integration in pkgsel (though only if there is
> someone willing to at the same time work on any needed changes in
> discover) and to provide feedback (as now).

Great.  I am willing to work on discover. :)

> So neither discover nor discover1 currently install init scripts?

That is correct.  discover since version 2.1.0-1 uploaded 2006-08-11
(now in stable), and discover1 since version 1.7.22 uploaded
2007-12-31 (now in testing).

> Did discover1 already contain code to remove existing init scripts
> on upgrade or not?

Yes.

> If not then I guess that needs to be added now, but it would also
> mean that it is useful to warn users who still have the init script
> installed.  If it did, then there should be no need to add it for
> the transition.

The discover1 version dropping the init.d script is only in testing so
far, so those upgrading discover1 from stable would need to have the
init.d script removed by the discover1 transition package or discover
v2.  This is why I added the code to drop the init.d script of
discover1 in discover.  But I am not sure if this is the way to do it.

> In that case I strongly suggest dropping discover-modprobe from the
> package.  If discover-config still needed when that is gone?

I see your point, but am not sure I agree.  discover-modprobe is at
least a useful example, and those that want to use it from private
kernel module (as in providing their own discover-data file) loading
might still use it.

> Then discover-data (and probably the discover program itself) should
> IMO be trimmed so that it only contains data/functionality needed to
> support _that_ feature. Not straight away, but it should be done at
> some point.

I agree.  The information is slowly getting obsolete now, and need to
be removed at some point.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen