Re: [RFC] Consequences for official CD/DVD images for Lenny

On Dec 30, 2008, at 1:36 PM, Frans Pop wrote:

On Tuesday 30 December 2008, Rick Thomas wrote:
Given that all the necessary packages will be available on the DVD,
doesn't it make more sense to do the selection in tasksel, rather
than at boot-time?  It would certainly be more convenient for the
user.  IMHO, doing it at boot time violates the principle of least
astonishment.

See [1] in http://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2008/12/msg00019.html

Frans wrote:

The simple reason is that Joey Hess, the lead developer for tasksel, has
always been opposed to doing it in tasksel with as main argument that
tasksel is mostly for new users who are probably not aware of what DEs
exist and thus would only be confused when having to choose between
meaningless names as GNOME, KDE, etc.

I don't know (or care to get involved with) the personalities here, so
if I'm "meddling in the affairs of wizards", I apologize and somebody
should email me off-line ti tell me "back off".

Nevertheless: Suppose somebody (maybe me?) were to write a patch
to tasksel that implemented an "expert" mode with big bold warnings
"Here there be dragons. Don't do this unless you *really* know what
you're doing!"

Useful, but newbie-dangerous, options could be put there, including
selection of which DEs to install.

If such a patch was available, would Joey be willing to accept it?

(Before I volunteer, what language is tasksel written in?  If it's in
Python or C, languages that I know well, I might be able to take it
on.)

Crawling back under my rock,

Rick